Lathallan School was originally located next to Lathallan Farm just south of the hamlet of Largoward in Fife. However, following a fire in the early hours of 2nd September 1949 the school with 74 boys, moved to Brotherton Castle which was then owned by Charles Alexander, a parent.
The Castle was built in 1867 by Hercules James Scott, who had married Anna Moon the daughter of a Liverpool cotton merchant. On Hercules Scott’s death in 1897 his eldest daughter, Anna Katherine (the last Scott to live at Brotherton Castle) succeeded to the estate.
The estate had its own gas-works, as well as five gardeners, five foresters and three gamekeepers who kept the grounds in order. Inside the Castle there was a housekeeper, butler, footman, hall boy, cook, kitchen maids and scullery maids. There was also the Castle’s own laundry employing two maids. With the advent of the car two chauffeurs were employed, and in North Lodge, the house at the top of the main driveway, there lived a gatekeeper.
During the Second World War Brotherton Castle was turned into a maternity hospital. Miss Scott died in July 1948 and Brotherton was left to her niece, Mrs Freda Gell, who in turn sold the estate to Mr Charles Alexander.
In 1950 he sold the castle and its grounds to the school governors. In 1976 the school finally became co-educational. A nursery department followed and in 2004 the school opened an adjacent ‘Lathallan Nursery’, which offers nursery care and education all year round. Lathallan’s biggest step forward was still to come, however, as in 2004 the school announced its intention to continue its own unique brand of education to senior school pupils. The first senior school pupils joined the school in September 2006, with the senior school housed in the main castle building.
To get a sense of the history of Brotherton Castle, as well as finding out more about our exciting plans for the future, why not visit for yourself?
The first senior school pupils joined the school in September 2006, with the senior school housed in the main castle building.